These pen blanks are from the Douglas Fir that was once the warehouses of the Mare Island Naval Shipyard (MINSY) A registered National Historic Landmark District since 1975. MINSY commenced ship building operations in 1854 and in 1859 launched its first ship, the USS Saginaw. Over the nest 123 plus years Mare Island would see 513 more vessels built as well as another 1227 vessels overhauled or repaired, and was even visited by the USS Constitution on her last voyage. To this day MINSY still holds the record for building the USS Ward in just 17.5 days during WWI. During its long and historic tenure Mare Island hosted both Navy and U.S. Marines training operations A victim of the 1995 cycle base closures, Naval Operations ceased, and the facility was decommissioned on April 1, 1996.